A dab of paint and the first mercury capsule (I don't know if this will be the final version).
That's what I can show you this time.
With the colour on the base it already starts to look like the ocean surface. White heads on the waves and eventually the darker parts and rotor wash after the second layer of paint.
|Just the blue underlayer. It already looks quite good. I took it out of its frame today, for letting the gypsum dry better and to repaint the frame itself.|
|White rotor wash and frothy heads on the waves.|
|I darkened the undersides of the waves and several other areas for more nuance.|
|Liberty Bell 7 in the making. I decided to also build a little detailed interior.|
|This is going to be the astronaut couch.|
|Painted and ready.|
|Landing bag. This device was a watertight cloth collar which was fastened to both the capsule as the heatshield, which came loose after the parachute opened and was meant to let the spacecraft land on a soft aircushion.|
|testfit. another one.|
I have given the base plate its first layer of gloss acrylic modeling paste. It will make nice little wavelets and gives the water more structure. The first results are promising.
More of that tomorrow.