byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

22 February 2015

Ariane 5 1/96, pt.8

So I finally had some time on my hands again to build some stuff.
Picking up where I left, I continued the build of the Ariane with SYLDA, the container structure that enables the launcher to take two items up into space. In the case of V188, (vol 188, the flight number of the Ariane) the payload was Planck and Herschel. Two smart space telescopes that were placed in  L2 to make observations of distant galaxies and the origins of the universe. About these intriguing L-numbers around Earth's orbit I will perhaps write another time.
SYLDA (SYstème de Lancement Double Ariane - Ariane Double Launch System) is just a cylindrical shape with a cone on which there is a second adapter ring to accommodate the second payload. The build I am doing is a combination of say, 80% scratch built stuff and 20% of the rocket model made by Ton Noteboom and the derivative redesigned by David Brown. SYLDA is part of the Brown model but it only has one height and it's the large 6m one while V188 had the 5 meter SYLDA. I measured the original kit version and concluded it was off scale. I took the original measurements and made one myself out of glossy black card. The additions were made by aluminium tape and some thread. The inside was reinforced with matte black card. It fits snugly into the 2nd stage.
The second stage itself also was quickly redone when I felt the need to change the insides of it. The only original piece left is the engine section.
Here's one picture, some more after the jump.


14 February 2015

Ariane 5 1/96, pt. 7

This is what I had made of Planck already, a little more than a year ago. in 1/48. I hope I will one day finish it. I like the looks, I haven't seen it since I put it aside all those months ago.

It will be nice to try and build this one and Herschel in half this scale.
some more news after the jump.

07 February 2015

Ariane 5 1/96, pt. 6

Almost done with the central core of the Ariane.
Now all the fuel lines and electrical ducts are there. Today was a lot of micro- modelling. 
Little blocks and bands for the piping.
 


06 February 2015

Ariane 5 1/96, pt. 5

What do you do when you suddenly realise the alignment of your model is not correct? And that that seam easily could have been hidden behind a electric cable duct?
You start ripping your pretty model apart. That's what you do.


What the results are, you can see after the jump.

02 February 2015

Ariane 5 1/96, pt. 4

Whichever model I make, a lot of research and drawing comes along with it. It's inevitable. It is half of the fun, too. I like researching my subjects to know what was happening and how things worked.
Now this model I am working on now, the Ariane, is no exception. Sometimes it is hard to find photos of good quality of the details I want to see to get stuff right. In this case, the upper stage is the issue. I have found some stuff in the end, but it took some thorough searching. There are enough cutaways and exploded views of the hardware but a separate photo of the second stage of this rocket, nowhere. Well, at least not hi-res. But I found enough to work with in the end.

Further, I do a lot of drawing of my subject. It helps me to understand the dimensions and scale, and to imagine the mode in 3D. I always have a sketchbook at hand, even when I am travelling. In this case, I also use it a lot for drawing this rocket. I thought it would be fun to show you some of my doodles.

First, here is where I am with the Ariane now. Sketches and more after the jump.



The engine and bottom section of the second stage of the Ariane 5 ECA


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...