byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

02 February 2015

Ariane 5 1/96, pt. 4

Whichever model I make, a lot of research and drawing comes along with it. It's inevitable. It is half of the fun, too. I like researching my subjects to know what was happening and how things worked.
Now this model I am working on now, the Ariane, is no exception. Sometimes it is hard to find photos of good quality of the details I want to see to get stuff right. In this case, the upper stage is the issue. I have found some stuff in the end, but it took some thorough searching. There are enough cutaways and exploded views of the hardware but a separate photo of the second stage of this rocket, nowhere. Well, at least not hi-res. But I found enough to work with in the end.

Further, I do a lot of drawing of my subject. It helps me to understand the dimensions and scale, and to imagine the mode in 3D. I always have a sketchbook at hand, even when I am travelling. In this case, I also use it a lot for drawing this rocket. I thought it would be fun to show you some of my doodles.

First, here is where I am with the Ariane now. Sketches and more after the jump.



The engine and bottom section of the second stage of the Ariane 5 ECA


 So, sketches. I studied this rocket very thoroughly. I download lots of available documents like the operator's manual (used for the satellite builders who want their babies launched upon this rocket), lots of drawings, threeviews and photos. Preferably in the highest resolution available. This way I can try and imitate the real thing the best. This here is a drawing of the engine before I started to build it (See post 1 of this build). With these drawings I also cut down the need to stare at a computer screen too much.


Yes, I will try to give this rocket a payload. And it is a revisit to Planck and Herschel. These brave probes will hopefully be made  in 1/96 and find their way into the payload section of the rocket. Now how to make the fairing? How to attach them to the second stage? how does the piling up of the two probes work? 
Also: How to build the EAP's (Étage de Acceleration à Poudre - SRB's in French, oui, monsieur!) in a way to keep out the messy glue the best? Perhaps make them in segments and hide the seams underneath a copper coloured band of paper. We'll see.


The second stage. The white upper part I first thought belonged to the fairing is actually attached to the stage itself. Allright. That's a small adjustment that can be done on the go. On top goes the pedestal on which Planck rests during the ascent. Perhaps I can do something with a little magnet to keep the probe loose while still firmly settled onto its attachment point. But how to attach the fairing itself? And.. The upper part of the stage seems to be a little bit bulging, in a toroidal way. How to do that? I might use some part of Leo Cherkashyn's Proton Briz upper stage here.. Again, we'll see.


That fairing, I think I'll leave it in one piece. Of course it splits in reality but it keeps the pyload nicely together when it is added as a whole. This also gave me the idea for how to do the white band on the upper stage versus the fairing attachment thing. I will double it. It will be on the fairing with a ring around the inside to stop it from going deeper over the rocket. How this will wortk out will be shown in a later entry. I hope. (-;


Now on to the build photos. Where we left off was the lower part. I had the first stage almost complete. Here now is the interstage (semigloss photo paper) and the start of the ring that will make up the second stage. Note the little grey surfaces on the interstage. All done in Photoshop. I measured it from a scaled drawing of the rocket.


On the picture below you literally see through the second stage. The bottom and top still have to be made here.  The interstage section is deep. It needs to be because the engine sticks out far.


 Here's a closer look at the interstage.


False start of the engine section of the second stage. It is right in shape but not the right paper. The existing models, Ton Noteboom's original as well as David Brown's remake, provide you with a solid looking cone while the real thing has an open part. Inside is the fuel tank which is encapsulated on top in another fuel tank. A little bit Russian, actually.


Anyway, change the paper of the bottom part of the cone, add 16 little tabs inside of it, 32 pieces of floral wire cut to length, and you end up with this. I like some bustle on my rockets. But there's more to come.



An hour or two later (time really flies when you're having fun) you gradually end up like the pictures you see below. 






A bit unnecessary, because it will be completely covered up, but here's the tank top. Hidden inside is the real tank dome bur on top of this will be the pedestal for Planck.


And here is a little engine bell. And also where I am in this build at the moment. Hope you like it and the doodly bits I included in this post.


see you all soon and in the meantime, be nice to each other.
--PK
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...