byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

08 August 2021

Fokker F.XXXVI - 1/100 (3)

Well, that was not what I intended. Hiatus after hiatus. On the other hand, not a lot was happening build-wise, too. Anyway, here’s a follow-up.
Here’s a nice photo for you to enjoy, after the jump you’ll read the rest of the story.

Look! It's a propeller!

I left you when it was time for the cockpit parts. These parts fit nicely, but you will have to glue it in phases. First the back, following the roundings of the fuselage. After that has set, push the part down, with glue on the edges of the paper. Press it down. It all will come together very well.

Then I made a big mistake. I did something else not related to this build and I spilled a little paint on the wingtip of the plane. I first thought of masking it with a bit of a spare wing but it looked even more awful. 

 

ugh.

 So…


I ripped off the wings. Ouch. Oof. Argh. But.. it worked. I got them off, leaving the rest of the fuselage relatively unharmed. I made new wings. Used the same frame. They were looking even a little better than the old ones. They had a better fit. It was an hour or three later and the new wings were on the plane again. Onward.

Here we go again...

Just one little stroke over the inside of the leading edge with water. One. Little. Stroke.
And it bends perfectly without any crease. Wonderful.

Ta-dah. Can we go on now without re-redoing anything else, please?

The next sessions took place in short creative bursts with lots of nothing in between.

Two days later I did the next session. I had all the engine nacelles attached to the wing. I still had to do the engines themselves. That followed a couple of days later. I did one engine. With some added details; I used small bits of aluminium coloured paper to depict the cylinders. I doubled up the propellers in a new line-up to be able to fold and glue them more easily.

The nacelles are made up out of several parts that need a lot of fiddling and tinkering. The fitting was okay, but I followed the outline depicted on the wings, otherwise the nacelles would've been larger and further over the wing.

First nacelle. A cylinder with a solid bulkhead in the rear.

I detailed the "engine block" with aliminium paper bits and accentuated them with my knife to simulate the cooling ribs.

Extra parts, newly engineered engine nacelle front, engine blocks (and spare ones) and props that could be folded over to double up.

Designer Chris Palmer used a very elaborate method to get a correctly shaped engine nacelle. It involved glueing lots of tiny paper strips together and then sanding them into the right shape. I prefer my model a little less complicated. It might be better to do it like Chris intended but I cannot be bothered. I created a cone shape to replace this layered piece and it still looks quite all right, I think.

New engine nacelle curved. Much easier than the original method.

sewing pin, rolled-ip slice of paper.


engine block glued against paper roll.

And pushed into the engine cylinder. The sewing pin is kept in place by the rear bulkhead of the blie-white outer cylinder.
I guess the following photos speak for themselves...






So, the first nacelle got a spinning propeller, a sewing pin with some tiny beads to keep it spinning better. The rest of the engines were made more than a month later.

They were all glued to the wing part of the nacelles. I must say I again was pleased with the result. I finally got somewhere. I guess procrastination and short attention span is my nemesis these days and he wins all the time.

Up next: the landing gear





No comments:

Post a Comment

attention spammers: all posts are moderated before placing.
you won't get through. you lose.