byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

09 August 2021

Fokker F. XXXVI - 1/100 (4)

Yeah, I guess we'll speed things up a little. Why not? So there we go:

Yay! it’s finished! I finished it yesterday, to be honest. Really. True.

The almost finished model.

Here's a nice picture of the finished model. The process of how I finally got there is after the jump.

Now where was I? Oh yes. The first propeller was glued to the wing nacelle. 

 

Next the three other props. I built them simultaneously. Just for some variation. 





 

After that I gave myself a little challenge and glued a bunch of roughly cut cardboard circles together for the wheels. after the glue was dry, I drilled a hole in the approximate center and using my power tool and my battery-powered screw driver, both spinning, one with the wheel the other with a sanding device, I created two rather nice wheels. I painted them anthracite, gave them silver hub caps.
(i.e. I punched two circles out of aluminium coloured paper). I didn't take any pictures because, well, I finally got into a flow and I wanted to just keep working. Here's the result of that:
 


 

The struts of the fixed gear were made with thin but sturdy metal rods inside. A little flimsy, because of the wheel's weight, but after the glue was set it was fine - and looked the part as well. 



I added some details on the wings, aileron reinforcements and tail mechs.
The tail wheel was made from rolling a small strip of paper around a punched-out paper hub. I didn’t use kit parts for that. Here are some pictures of the final result.

Tail wheel and mech






One of the less happy points of attention is the effect the tiniest residue of glue had on the print.
The used paper (matte photo paper) is very prone to blemishes. I sometimes had some troubles with it. QED.
I love the print quality but one needs rubber gloves and a meticulous environment to get an unblemished result, I am afraid.
To me it is very noticeable - the detail on this photo however, is bigger than in real life.


Here too, the shift in the text on the nose bothers me a lot. The other side looks good.
I guess I should have paid more attention to both sides when applying the part to the fuselage.
Oh well. As we Dutch folks say, One shouldn't put salt on all the slugs.

What else is there to say? I hope next build will be a little quicker and cause more frequent posts. Sorry!

--PK

PS. No promises, but the chance the next build is something space-related is almost 100%. Maybe something sixties space plane-ish,, maybe not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

attention spammers: all posts are moderated before placing.
you won't get through. you lose.