byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

14 May 2019

Clear Skies, John.

Today, I was saddened by the news that one of my paper modeling friends passed away on April 11.  
John D. Jogerst, known to the paper model community as Yogi or Retired_for_now, was the person who welcomed me abord when I logged in for the first time on Papermodelers.com, the forum I joined ten years or so ago. John was a prolific paper model designer but remained very modest about his creations. He shared them with the community and many of his models are still available for free at Jonathan Leslies Lower Hudson Paper Model Gift Shop. In the time I started out in this hobby, I often made his models. They were well-designed and were easy to build. I have helped him test building four or five of his designs and I improved some of them with detail sets. We often emailed in those days and I considered him a friend, although he was living far away and I knwe almost nothing about his life and we would never meet. In his emails he often told about how he spent his time as a retiree in his community, Having fun with school children playing with his stomp rockets, donating his models to local museums and lovingly calling his wife "she who has to be obeyed", which I always found funny, him being a retired USAF colonel.


When he started to visit the forum less frequently, I sometimes emailed him to check up on how he was doing. He told me he just was enjoying his free time and found other things to keep him occupied.  I remember him as an eloquent and intelligent man with a kind and positive attitude.
The news of his passing really struck me, although we never met. 
Clear Skies, John.


No comments:

Post a Comment

attention spammers: all posts are moderated before placing.
you won't get through. you lose.