byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

25 October 2016

N1-L3 in progress

It seems like there isn’t a lot happening at the moment, but it actually is the opposite. It even has been quite turbulent the last two weeks. And not in a nice way, unfortunately.
However, it doesn’t mean there isn’t some time to do a little paperwork now and then. But just a little. Far too little to make a post about. So it really had to accumulate to make a good full post. And here it is.

I still am working on the N1. Such a time consuming build (I started this build mid- November 2015!) perhaps might gets tedious now and then but I got the spirit back a couple of weeks ago. Slowly the thing turns into what I wanted it to be in the first place, albeit as a static model which isn’t made for taking apart to demonstrate. Here's a complete overview in one picture, the rest follows below:



Yes, you see it right: up on top is the complete LK lander,
berthed in its shroud on top of the Blok D stage.


The Block D module is completely new. I took it apart for a second time when I found it didn't look as I wanted. I only reused the torus part. It finally fitted and looked like I think it must look for this model. It will remain loose in its shroud for possibilities.

I redid the upper tank with blueish silvery card. A bead acts as a helium tank next to the engine bell.

The cover of the top propellant tank was made from semi gloss photo paper I bought some time ago and of which I had high hopes. Unfortunately, it was incapable of handling the CA glue fumes and it shrivelled and loosened the matte film top layer. For this occasion however, it apparently worked fine.

The Blok D stage inside the shroud train. The insides of al the shrouds is done with mesh tape normally used for drywall seams. It provides in giving a hint of some sort of inner structure of these shrouds.

The circle inside was there for keeping the ring round while doing the build-up.


All the latticework in the build was made from welding wire and was a little hard to put together. Lots of support was needed to keep the elements drying in the right position. The upper ring to the LK lander was also kind of tricky to build.


I then started on Lars Folmann’s LK lander. Such a little bug compared to the American LM. It only had to shelter one cosmonaut, though. The “egg” on top, the pressurized cabin, is a joy to make. Perfect fit, even with heavy paper like the stuff I used. Great to see that shape come into existence. I used a lot of additive materials, replacing little parts with solid pieces of card or paper beer coasters, often reinforced with a drip of CA. The legs were made from brass tubes and rods. The pistons between the engine section and the legs are pins,wrapped in strips of silver tape.
The landing legs. Brass tubes, brass rods. Here in primer.

The engine section, sometimes referred to as Blok E. The triangular parts on the outmost sections ate made of beer coaster paper, painted and reinforced with CA.

Starting to build the pressure vessel of the LK. I used thick silver card for this.

Pressure 'egg', engine section with attached legs and the hydraulics to push them outward.



"Egg" and engine section joined. Still lot of detailing to do.

Often I had to try and test the fit of the module inside its shroud. The top ring of Blok D was attached inside the upper part of the shrouds, CA'ed to the inside. It was the only way to keep the whole shebang a bit modular and detachable.
I had to re-cut the upper shroud to be able to show all of the LK lander. The tapered bit was opened up to the rim, so it was a little fragile. I reinforced the inside with CA. It think it's better like this, because you need to be able to see the complete lander.

The real engine section of the LK lander was made of one central single engine and a back-up of the same engine but with two engine bells. The two engines together were also usable. The four smallest ones wetre vernier engines for extra steering possibilities.



Another test fit with all of the other segments. Of course I won't leave the seam of the Blok D skirt visible when it eventually will be displayed. (-:
On top, the LK has a kind of upside down hat, in which four units of RCS thrusters and the docking mechanism is situated. I used small silicate balls for the propellant tanks. It was placed upon the “egg” with some CA. Then some more greebles and doodads were added and there it was. A teenie tiny Soviet moon lander.In the middle of the hat is a grid in which the LOK spacecraft could dock buy pushing in its small anchor rod on top of the module. It made docking easier because the manoeuvre didn't need to be extremely precise to be successful. It also meant the lunar cosmonaut could not transfer from ship to ship internally but needed a spacewalk to get back.



A 360º walkaround of the LK part 1


two, here you can see the ladder, an instrument box (which I rotated 90º because otherwise it wouldn't fit through the upper ring any more. It isn't how it should be but it will be inside its shroud anyway and it won't be a real eye catcher anyway. The structure on the 'egg' is of course the door.

Three. the back.

Four. The other side. Here's the radar dish. Up front you can see the communication dish. I think.



To end the series of pictures, here's another couple of shots of how the upper shroud fits over the LK. I put it on a small rod which goes inside the Blok D propellant tank, so the LK will stay upright and won't move around in its cocoon.







 

Up next will be the LOK, the moon-Soyuz. I have re-modeled an AXM Soyuz as the starting point. It still needs some tinkering but you'll see more of that next time.

See you soon in - I hope - less tumultuous times.
—PK
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...