byline

Paper models, photos and musings of a Paper Kosmonaut

05 October 2014

a bird and a plane (but no superman).

Hi there!
I am so sorry I cannot treat you all with something complicated at the moment. The 1/20 Apollo capsule I intended to build is on the shelf, just like all the other biggies. The Saturn, Planck&Herschel, the GeeBee raceplane I was doing, it's all on hold. I only can do out of the proverbial box models, the easier stuff.

There's hardly any creativity left in me at this time. I am more or less exhausted by the breakneck pace my partner and I have to get these documentary films out before their deadlines. It has drained me of almost all my creativity, and what's left of it I need to use for the films. We already brought out two films this year, there are two more to follow this autumn. After that, somewhere middle November, we finally are free. I hope.

So, unfortunately there's not much *big* paper modeling going on.
What I can show you are two little builds I did in the past weeks just to keep my mind off things. They're a little uninspired, just something to kind of still my paper model hunger a little. I made a very quick build of Johan Scherft's wren a week or so ago, just an ultra quickie, taking me just an hour or two. A perfect fit and a joy to make. It just was very quick. I liked the result and gave the little wren a place to sit close to the kingfisher I made some time ago.

It is attached to the branch with a piece of thin wire.
A little drop of clear acrylic paint made its beady little eyes a lot more vivid.
More after the jump.

Here are some more photos of the wren.



The other build I made is one I prepared earlier. Long story. Just an idea I started working on a few months back and reimagined a different or maybe even a "better" Dutch air force. Different planes, different situation, an elaborate What-if, so to say. This is a first try to depict stuff from that alternative timeline. Some time ago already, I took Kancho Iliev's model of the Yak-130 prototype and recoloured it as a Dutch air force trainer, based on how the Dutch Pilatus PC7 trainer aircraft they actually use today are painted. As this one was more or less ready for print, I decided to try and tackle this one for a change. I don't do that many airplanes, usually. 


Oooh, those curves.


I have to say, I really prefer the prototype look over the now operational version the Russians fly. I kind of like the flattened "bathtub" nose and the winglets.
This also was a nice and reasonably simple build. It involved a lot of shaping, curving the hull and when adding pieces, keeping the shape continuing into the next part. It became a good looking little jet with a good fit and some nicely shaped parts. Well designed, Kancho!


I just noticed I made an error in the registration. It's either with or without the hyphen, not both.

Sorry for the grainy shots, I couldn't be bothered to grab my camera (-: so I did all pictures with my smartphone.
I do have a busload of ideas ready, of course, but like I said, all of them are momentarily on hold. So for those of you waiting for something special, I have to ask you to have a bit of patience. (-:

Thanks for stopping by!
--PK

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...